As one of the South Coast’s leading employment agency’s, supplying skilled labour for construction and civil engineering projects, and with over 500 sub-contractors registered on our system, we have had our fair share of good and bad experiences with operatives applying for jobs. From the good, the bad and the downright shocking.
So, whether you are applying for a short or long-term position it’s important to make the right impression from the outset as we all know first impressions count. Speaking on the phone is often the first point of contact with a company or recruiter, so make sure the first impression is a good one with our easy to follow guide on the do’s and don’ts when applying for a job in construction.
First and foremost, here are our top 5 things to do not do or say when applying for a position in construction:
- We have never met you before so DO NOT address us as mate, mush or geez.
- DO NOT ask what the money is before finding out anything about the job.
- Avoid telling porkie pies… DO NOT lie about your experience. Stating you are a fully skilled groundworker with 10 years experience, and at the tender age of only 22 years will end discussions quickly!
- DO NOT get your wife, girlfriend or other to ring and apply on your behalf. Whilst we are not doubting that your wife, girlfriend or mother might be a lovely person, you are the one that has to do the job, not her.
- DO NOT proudly tell us about the 10 jobs you’ve already had this year when it is only March. We will quickly establish you have an issue with commitment and aren’t likely to hang around too long.
Preparation is key when applying for a job, so make sure you spend time before any call to a potential employer preparing what you are going to say to demonstrate your suitability for the position.
Here are the top 5 things we advise when applying for a job in construction:
- DO show an interest. Ask the right questions… where is the site? What type of work is it? What are the work hours?
- DO demonstrate suitable previous experience, and be able to provide references to demonstrate it.
- DO demonstrate a solid work history. It shows the ability to remain in a job for reasonable periods of time.
- Be able to quickly and easily demonstrate you have the correct qualifications, driving licence, CSCS card, CPCS and any other qualifications you have
- Be polite, listen and demonstrate an ability to work with others.
We wish you well in your job search and applications!
Don’t forget if you are a ground worker looking for work, Skilled Labour Services is always on the lookout for operatives due to a full order book of work.
Contact us today… follow the points from this and you’ll be sure to get a long-term position with us!
Duis facilisis ante vitae urna elementum, nec hendrerit metus porta. Proin id mattis erat, id ultrices sem. Fusce sagittis maximus nisl quis laoreet. Nam pharetra fermentum dignissim. Vestibulum viverra vulputate lectus, quis cursus libero consectetur lacinia. Fusce viverra tortor eget ligula fermentum maximus.